Urban Harvest Collecting Local fruit for Local People
Thank you to everyone who has contributed towards the success of Urban Harvest this Autumn, helping them to pick and distribute surplus fruit and stop free food going to waste.
· Free Fruit – Since September they have picked fruit in numerous back gardens, and distributed free fruit to children’s centres and schools, as well as organisations including Freedom from Torture, Sifa Fireside Day centre and Masefield Community Centre.
· Featured – See them on BBC WM (24 mins), Birmingham Mail, and coming up on BBC 2’s Great British Garden Revival (in December).
· An abundance – They have picked apples, plums, pears, greengages, grapes, damsons, quince as well as rare varieties such as Medlars. They have also been donated an 11 stone pumpkin, and vegetables from keen growers!
· Buy a jar – They are selling jams and chutney at the Ecocentre for £2!
· Working with local businesses – they are selling cooking (50p per kilo) and eating apples (28p per kilo) to local food businesses.
To find out more contact Jackie Green on [email protected] or 0121 448 0119 or visit their website.
Posted on 8th November 2013