WMCA’s Community Environment Fund
In October 2023, the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) launched the Community Environment Fund, offering £1 million in grant funding. This fund aims to aid communities in executing projects that enhance the environment and people’s lives.
Approximately 30 small grants of up to £25,000 and 5 large grants of up to £100,000 will be awarded for projects under the following project themes:
- Natural environment – to protect, restore and enhance nature and wildlife.
- Access to green space – to provide better access to and community use of green space for health and wellbeing – similar to the recent Community Green Grants programme.
- Climate adaptation – to make communities more resilient and prepared for the impacts of climate change
- Circular economy – to reduce waste and keep resources and materials in use for as long as possible.
- Environment awareness – to improve knowledge of environment issues and support behaviour change.
The Heart of England Community Foundation (HoECF) will manage the application process through their website in collaboration with WMCA to facilitate the Community Environment Fund.
- Large projects up to £100,000 must be delivered by 31 December 2024. It is unlikely that applications for large projects will be accepted after June 2024 due to delivery timescales.
- Small projects up to £25,000 must be delivered by February 2025. It is unlikely that applications for small projects will be accepted after October 2024.
Posted on 7th November 2023