Budget Cuts to our Parks Immediate Action Needed
Cuts from central government funding mean that Birmingham City Council is again looking to make Budget Cuts and there are serious reductions being proposed to Parks!
At the moment these are only proposals – it’s not too late to change the plans – you have less than 35 days to have your say before the final decisions are made.
Budget Consultation Meetings
How to Complete the Survey
1. You need to get the budget document – click on this link
Read Section 4 (page 19 onwards) and keep it open to be able to fill out the survey
2. Fill out the Survey before 18th January 2017 – Click on this link for the survey
The proposed cuts to Parks are on page 27 of the budget document. The most damaging proposal is the cut to Park Keepers and Rangers
To reduce the Parks and Nature Conservation budget by 20% from 2017/18 through the following key measures:
1. Reduction in the amount of highway maintenance
2. ALL the 30 Park Keepers to go!
3. Rangers to go from six hubs down to two – one hub in the north & one hub in the south remain. Remaining staff to focus on Risk Assessments, land management, and repairs, so they will not be available to work with groups anymore!
4. Stop cutting 20% of all grass in parks and public spaces
5. Reduction in the number of shrubs and flower beds in parks and on the highway by 50%
6. Stop all planters and baskets in centres and on the highway – unless funding provided from other sources.
Posted on 9th December 2016