Friends of Edgbaston Reservoir
Situated close to the city centre, Edgbaston Reservoir is a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation. It was built in 1827 by Thomas Telford as a pop up for Birmingham canal system and is still used for that purpose today. The 70 acres site is mainly open water and supports a variety of birdlife; it is also a valuable city site for animals such as newts and bats. A belt of woodland and grassland encircles the reservoir providing an oasis of natural beauty in an urban setting.